Performix System - High Performance 300mm EFEM
Kensington Laboratories offers Performix™, a 300mm equip-ment front-end module (EFEM) wafer handling environment designed for ISO Class 1 specifications, to address the growing constraints faced by the semiconductor industry.
Stringent device requirements have forced IC manufacturers to focus on increasingly complex process development, relying on experts in the automation sector to provide the necessary clean environment, system performance, and throughput. Managing the higher cost of production mandates an unparalleled level of automation. The Performix EFEM responds to that call with an integrated sub-system for metrology and process equipment that leverages Kensington Laboratories’ 25 years of advanced robotic experience. The result is a product with high reliability, world-class tool availability, and exceptional throughput needed for volume production at the 90 nm technology node and below.
Performix is a self-contained mini-environment which utilizes precision robotics in an ultra-clean wafer handling area. SEMI compliant and configured for two to four BOLTS-compliant ports, the Performix design facilitates interfacing among fab equipment. The major automation components include the ADO 300mm load port, MultiLink™ robotic system for wafer handling, prealigner, and optional central controller.
Performix combines the best of newly developed advanced robotic technologies and industry-proven equipment. Available in 2, 3, and 4 port configurations, the Performix system’s monocoque construction, a unibody frame, provides a sturdy foundation for the four major components, each uniquely designed to provide the speed, accuracy, and flexibility to meet your particular needs.
ADO Load Port
The ADO 300mm load port accesses the wafer in up to 6 seconds, 1.5 to over 3 times better than competitive products.
•Best in class FOUP interoperability: Kensington Laboratories’ patented latchkey opening mechanism opens all SEMI standard FOUP configurations, in any condition, ensuring excellent repeatability.
•Built to last: A robust design and precision assembly ensures exceptional lifetime and performance.
•Superior reliability: Demonstrated MCBF >600,000 cycles at 90% confidence level.
MultiLink Robotic Systems
Introduced in 1995, MultiLink robotic systems combine mature, proven technology with state of the art performance. These robots are mainstays in fabs throughout the industry.
•Exceptional throughput: Proprietary z axis design enables market leading peak speeds of 55 inches/second and acceleration rates of up to 200 inches/second2.
•Precision wafer placement: High performance design provides precise motion control and eliminates structural deflection and creep.
•Fast swap times: Dual arm systems have demonstrated swap times of less than 3 seconds and throughput greater than 360 wph on a 4 port configuration.
•300mm installed base: MultiLink robots are currently installed at 98% of all 300mm fabs.
High-speed prealignment provides state of the art placement accuracy in both vacuum chuck and edge contact configurations.
The optional central controller provides a simple single wire host interface, coordinating all EFEM operations. A straightforward, user-friendly command set makes interfacing and controlling the Performix fast and easy.
The Performix system’s unique monocoque frame forms a rigid enclosure that reduces vibration and enhances stability. This design eliminates the need for a traditional skin-on-frame EFEM design.
A patented datum plane serves as a reference point to ensure precision alignment of components and eliminate tolerance variability.
More importantly, the datum plane puts precision where it is needed – in the automation components – thus eliminating high tolerance requirements in auxiliary sub-systems. The prealigned, preleveled Performix EFEM simplifies system integration, providing faster installation and start up, and guaranteeing repeatable load port
and robotic alignment, and wafer position.
• Latchkey opening mechanism opens all SEMI standard FOUP configurations, in any condition
• FOUP latchkeys require no vacuum door attachment
• Dual end effector, multiple link robot arm system with corner reach-around and extended reach capabilities
• High torque, synchronously operating multiple link robot arm mechanism
• Continuously rotatable multiple link robot arm mechanism
• Robot arm with specimen edge gripping end effector
• Robot arm with specimen sensing and edge gripping end effector
• Self-teaching robot arm position method
• Through-beam wafer mapping
Ease of Use
The Performix advantage resides in its ease of use. The impact is superior system availability.
• Automated Self Teach™ is patented software that speeds system startups in a highly repeatable manner. To utilize Automated Self Teach, an operator simply selects pre-programmed, approximate locations for the load port, prealigner, and process equipment. Kensington Laboratories’ patented, optical through-beam wafer locating system automatically registers these locations and calibrates the robot with high accuracy through a short motion operation.
• Largest installed base of edge grip end effectors is the result of industry leading, proprietary edge grip wafer handling technology, ensuring low backside wafer particle contamination.
• Simplified command set from the central controller allows for fast, intuitive customer programming of the Performix EFEM automation.
• Embedded E-Diagnostics enable remote, high-level functional testing of components for fault isolation/detection, and provide software teaching of automated material handling system drop off position.
Reputation for Leadership in Robotic Technology
Performix is backed by Kensington Laboratories’ reputation for high-quality design and high-performance technology. With a large installed base of robots and systems, Kensington Laboratories’ Performix sub-systems ensure faster start-up times and improved placement accuracies, in an ISO Class 1 mini-environment.
Based upon a history of cutting-edge system design, Performix integrates the highest quality components to achieve performance unrivaled in the marketplace. Kensington has a large installed base of robotic systems with robots numbering in the thousands and wafer sorters exceeding 1,500.
Flexible load port and robotic components designed for configurable solutions allow Performix to be easily tailored to a variety of automation requirements. Features that make the Performix EFEM configurable to your specific needs include:
• ADO load port with or without wafer mapping option.
• MultiLink Dual Arm (4 axes of motion) and MultiLink Single Arm (3 and 4 axes of motion) robots.
• End effector options: 300mm edge grip, 300mm vacuum grip, 300mm supinator wafer flipper, and 300mm batch edge grip – all with through-beam wafer mapper. The integrated through-beam wafer mapper uses an eye-safe LED that optically maps the entire FOUP and detects common storage errors.
• Yaw axis robots (trackless) or Track configurations.
Kensington Laboratories is an advanced technology leader committed to developing and manufacturing the highest quality, most reliable, and cost-effective automation solutions in the industry. Our technical innovation along with investment in capital infrastructure ensures that our customers receive products with superior performance, high reliability, and low cost of ownership. All Kensington Laboratories’ products are backed by our global service and support network.